Monday 24 November 2008

That quote in full...

Thanks to Miriam, who's just forwarded me the context of the Mahon quote that Seamus Heaney referenced in the interview mentioned below. Ahem:
"Battles have been lost, but a war remains to be won. The war I mean is not, of course, between Protestant and Catholic but between the fluidity of a possible life (poetry is a great lubricant) and the rigot mortis of archaic postures, political and cultural. The poets themselves have taken no part in political events, but they have contributed to that possible life, or to the possibility of that possible life; for the act of writing is itself political in the fullest sense. A good poem is a paradigm of good politics - of people talking to each other, with honest subtlety, at a profound level. It is a light to lighten the darkness; and we have had darkness enough, God knows, for a long time."

I love the phrase 'people talking to each other with honest subtlety'. It precisely articulates one of poetry's gentle powers, as well as how the most sensitive and transformative people I know communicate. Perhaps they recognise themselves in my description: I hope so.

No comments: