Tuesday 8 April 2008

An apology

Hearing a friend reading a poem of his the other called Pylons, I was reminded of a poem by Stephen Spender that I read over ten years ago. I smirked to myself. The Pylons, I remembered vividly, was one of the worst poems I'd ever read. It included some ridiculous image about the pylons being like naked girls, which even as a teenager I realised they obviously weren't. In one swoop I decided that Stephen Spender was not worth reading - fortunate, really, since I had no inclination to, anyhow.

Rereading it the other day, I feel a small apology is in order. It does have its moments of silliness, but all in all, it's not such a bad poem. Judge for yourself:

The Pylons

The secret of these hills was stone, and cottages
Of that stone made;
And crumbling roads
That turned on sudden hidden villages.

Now over these small hills, they have built the concrete
That trails black wire;
Pylons, those pillars
Bare like nude, giant girls that have no secret.

The valley with its gilt and evening look
And the green chestnut
Of customary root,
Are mocked dry like the parched bed of a brook.

But far above and far as sight endures
Like whips of anger
With lightening's danger
There runs the quick perspective of the future.

This dwarfs our emerald country by its trek
So tall with prophecy:
Dreaming of cities
Where often clouds shall lean their swan-white neck.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can we have another post please? Something justifying your anti-Armitage stance would be good.

Oliver Mantell said...

Yes, you can: though I ought to say at this point that I don't have an 'anti-Armitage stance'! Just that he's one of three of four current poets that people have generally heard of (if they've heard of any, of course). And I don't think he's one of the three our four most interesting.

But I'll come back to this question at more length later...

Ben Wilkinson said...

Hi Oliver,

Thought I'd drop by your blog and make a quick comment - I've added you to my blog's faves and look forward to reading through your post archive sometime soon.

Incidentally, I've had a quick listen to the show's podcast and it sounds pretty good.

cheers,

B